Monday, June 25, 2007

'Entourage' is less and less funny, and HBO is F'd



There I said it. Entourage is becoming increasingly less and less funny. To be honest, while I am pretty much caught up, I didn't really start watching the show (as in, watching every episode) until this last season. Although, this season is technically the next season, since the last season only ended a few weeks ago. Confused? Good.

What kept me from watching it in the first place was the fact that I have a hard time relating to ridiculously rich, late 20 somethings having everything they want, banging whatever hot ass they want, and paying zero dues in the process. I am huge on paying dues. To play the blues you gots to pay them dues.

What made me start watching was Ari, and truthfully, the notion that a group of guys, in spite of how successful one of them has become, are still true friends, share in each other's fortune and misfortune, and yes, bang hot chicks along the way. And to be fair, isn't that what we all want for our friends at the end of the day? Except for some, of course, for as a married man I grow weary of hearing about it all the time. Most of the players on that show, minus Piven and Dillon, can't act worth a shit, but it's still, on the most basic level, "relatable."

And it's funny...at times...but not lately...which worries me...immensely...i am finished...with ellipses.

And that makes me worry for HBO. No more Sopranos, no more Deadwood, no more Rome, and by the looks of the trailers for the new slate of crap coming up, no more good shows. I know it's not TV, but HBO could have learned a thing or three from it's rival broadcast big brothers. Spin offs anyone?? Ahh yes, TV is the master of suckling that sweet teet of broadcast gold until it runs dry with Joey, but there have been successes. Many of them in fact. I know Chase is done with Sopranos, and the cost of producing Deadwood and Rome proved too much to bear, but there's only much so much Cathouse a guy can watch.

So to HBO, stop giving shows to every hack that claims to have an "original" idea. There are no fucking original ideas. Give me an original idea and I'll show you a show that sucks ass. Why? Because it's not relevant, it's not even earnest, and I can't begin to relate to it as a viewer. And how do I know this? Because none of the good shows, at their core, are original. The mob, the old West, and an ancient empire somewhere in or around Italy. It's what you do with what is already unoriginal which makes it original, right? So stop trying to think of "the next big show" our "next Sopranos." You look desperate and it's obvious from the shows you are about to air. Take a deep breath. Find a good writer, pick a topic that actually interests people (death, blood, crime and tits come to mind), and I'll keep watching.

Then again, what the hell do I know? Like it matters what the idea is. Isn't
99.9 percent of this stuff pure luck anyway?

Eat it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, tell me you're at least watching John from Cincinnati because it's fucking awesome. By the Deadwood guys. I have no idea what the hell is going on, but I can't stop watching it.